She’s starting to look like a boat again.

We drove down to Pegu Club on Saturday hoping that we would be able to get one, and maybe two coats of barrier coat paint on the hull by the end of the weekend.  The forecast was looking promising, although the low temperatures overnight were starting to flirt close to our 41 degree cut off, but we thought we could at least get her prepped and ready, and then make a game-time decision.

First up was to remove Pegu Club’s winter wrap because the straps holding it on would get in the way for painting:

Look what I found under the cover!
IMG_0059 (1)
After (with Pegu-teeny keeping Pegu Club company).

Removing the cover was easy, so next up was to wipe the entire hull with fiberglass wash.  THAT was a tedious task.  Once again I was glad we didn’t buy a bigger boat.  Unfortunately with the fumes smelling like nail polish remover, Jeff was feeling queasy by the time he was done with his half despite wearing a mask.  So much for my faint hope that he would magnanimously help me finish my side.  Instead, I suggested he hop in the car and grab us some lunch, figuring that some fresh air would help him.  In the meantime, I finished up my side and taped off the bootstripe.

By the time Jeff returned there was a distinct chill in the air.  The sun was gone and the breeze was pretty nippy.  A quick check of the Weather Channel had us deciding to pull the plug on painting for the weekend.  The wind chill and the clouds had the air feeling like 43 degrees, and the projected low temperature had dropped below the magic 41.  Interlux (the paint company) had told us that the barrier coat would have problems adhering if it wasn’t at least 41 degrees during the dry time, so we weren’t going take the chance.  After all of that work scraping and sanding, we knew that we most definitely did not want to do it again simply because we were impatient!  Oh well.  At least now she is completely prepped.

After a very late lunch we decided to tackle a couple of more items on the to-do list before calling it a day.  We had bought more water hose that morning during our now-weekly visit to Defender, so we were able to run the hose from the water tank to the foot pump in the galley sink, and then run another hose from the tank to the bathroom sink.  This was easier said than done given that we were threading the hose several feet and trying to push it under the floorboards through a cutout that seemed about 1″ wider than the hose itself.  Once again I found myself holding a flashlight with my head upside down in the bilge trying to figure out where the hose was hiding (the manufacturer coils the hose for packaging, so it doesn’t want to push straight through), and Jeff was muttering to himself wondering why he wanted to buy a boat.  It wasn’t too long before we were high-fiving each other though.  Another item mostly finished.  I can’t officially cross it off of the list until we buy the hand pump for the bathroom sink and connect it to the hose.

We also tried to install the LED bulbs that we had purchased online from Marine Beam and Dr. Led.  Our success was mixed.  Some of the bulbs fit in the fixtures with no problem, but two of the interior light bulbs and all of the exterior running light bulbs are too tall.  Back to the drawing board.  On that note, we decided to call it a day.

The low temperature on Sunday was forecast to be 37 degrees so we knew upon waking up that painting was not going to happen.  It was too bad because it was going to be a glorious 65 degrees that day.  But just because we couldn’t paint didn’t mean we were going to pass up a day to work on the boat.  With only six weekends remaining, and our timing for major purchases somewhat constrained by the late date of the Defender sale this year (during the weekend of April 2nd), it’s becoming clear that we’re going to be a bit pressed for time before our April 29th launch date.  Given that, we spent Sunday continuing to work on what we could.

We need to put four thruhulls and seacocks in the boat before we splash.  This is non-negotiable since without them we have four 1-1/2 inch holes in the boat.  We decided a good strategy would be to prepare the areas for installation which would save us time when we finally buy the parts.  Since we had already installed a thruhull and seacock in Little Bristol, this process caused much less angst the second time around.

While Jeff prepped, I busied myself with washing and rinsing all of the interior wood.  Pegu Club’s odorometer is down to around .5 – 1 on a scale of 1-10.  Frankly, I doubt anyone else would notice, but we’d really like to get it down to zero.  There’s a boat odor guru named Peggie Hall who has written a book on the subject, and I had read a post on one of the sailing forums where she sang the praises of an odor eliminator called “Pure Ayre.”  We figure we really had nothing to lose by giving it a try, but before we can use it we need to clean every surface.   Fortunately we had taken care of this last August/September – except for the interior wood.  And there’s a lot of it. Anyway, I armed myself with a mixture of water, laundry detergent, and bleach, and got to work.  I thought the boat smelled pretty good by the time I was finished, but in an abundance of caution we’re going to apply the Pure Ayre in the next weekend or two.

We wrapped up our tasks around the same time, so after vacuuming out the boat we decided to reinstall the cabinet sliders.  We were pretty psyched about this.  On the surface it doesn’t seem to be a big deal, but in reality it represented a milestone.  You see, since hauling  Pegu Club in mid-August her interior has been stripped.  There has been nothing but tools, cleaning materials, and boat parts in her.  Strictly a work zone.  Absolutely no sign of the home she is going to be.

A few weekends ago we took one tiny step towards putting her back together when we installed the Nature’s Head and put the Origo back in.  Then we brought a halyard on the boat to help Jeff remove the batteries, and instead of bringing the halyard home we left it.  And this time – the sliders:

It’s a little thing, but psychologically it makes a big difference.

It’s amazing what a difference they made in the feel of the cabin.  Before we know it there will be cushions, curtains, pillows, a throw rug, dishes – she’ll be transformed into our summer home.  Once she’s put back together I’ll post a video and some pictures.  Can’t wait!

Finally, we mostly finished tightening the deck hardware that we had rebedded during the fall. I need to make a trip into the pit of despair (aka the rear lazarette) next weekend to completely finish the job, and then we’ll be all set with our rebedding until next offseason.

Overall it was a productive weekend – especially considering we were winging it a bit when we decided we couldn’t paint.  It felt great on Sunday to be working on the boat without wearing thermal underwear and a coat, and it really brought home that soon we’ll be floating on the water with Pegu Club.  Six weekends to go!

6 thoughts on “She’s starting to look like a boat again.

  1. You must have slept on the boat Saturday night. Or did you go to a motel? or to the club? Sounds so exciting, We are so glad for you both, Keep up the exhausting work. Love, N


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s