Our original plan was to haul out Pegu Club for the season on September 3rd and then head west on our cross-country camping trip. Hurricane/Tropical Storm Henri had other plans for us, however.
We had been tracking Henri ever since Chris Parker started mentioning him in his tropical weather e-mails. He showed up as a blob just south of Bermuda, and when we were first made aware of him I remember saying to Jeff that I hate it when storms develop in that area. Instead of following a fairly predictable path, they just wobble and wander around with the potential to cause trouble.
Sure enough, several days later Shenny had initiated its hurricane operations procedure and we were debating whether to haul out or not. After deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, we found ourselves out of the water a full two weeks earlier than we intended.
Fortunately, in literally he final hours of his approach Henri veered a bit east of us so all of the boats at Shenny, including Pegu Club, were unharmed. Less fortunate (I’ll never call it unfortunate because we avoided a direct hit), as one of the first of over 85 boats to be hauled out it was going to be awhile before the boats in front of Pegu would be put back in the water. Hurricane haul outs don’t include unstepping the mast, so leaving early to head west wasn’t an option. But living on the hard for several days wasn’t appealing in the slightest. What to do, what to do? It didn’t take long before we decided to go camping in Vermont for a week as a shake-down of sorts for the big camping trip. Continue reading “Escape to Vermont.”